Tuesday, August 16, 2005

My Provider is on holiday, so I am home alone. It’s hot, I’m bored, so I decided to look for interesting news items on the Web.
You know, it is a Good Thing we cats don’t get depressed. In contrast to dogs – they go into an emotional and mental decline when their providers are not around. If you don’t believe me, read the following article that I found on the World Wide Web.

MILTON, Scotland - Donna Cooper still has no idea why her normally obedient border collie, Ben, leaped to his death this spring off a tall rural bridge in Milton without any warning or apparent rationale. "Ben's feet never touched the wall," she said, referring to the waist-high, 18-inch-thick barrier that has been hurdled - inexplicably and with a near certainty of death - by scores of dogs during the past three decades. "He just went straight over." Maybe it's the whistle of the wind from distant Loch Lomond, or the fabled "white lady" who is said to haunt an adjacent mansion or the rustle of tree branches next to a nearby waterfall. Dogs have been leaping off the bridge at rates reportedly as high as one per month during the past 20 or 30 years.

I find this a fascinating story. Please note that only dogs seem to commit suicide, there is no mention of sheep, goats or (gasp) Cats.
Dogs are supposed to learn from experience, right? So why do they jump? I know that Scotland is a cold place and canines might fight off the chill with a wee glass of Scotch, but that would make them drunk, not suicidal.
So there is only one answer – somebody is putting them up to it. I have my suspicions – but I don’t want to implicate my cousin Ian McCat, so I keep silent. (I do the same with my cousin Loui “The Claw” Cattino in NYC –better safe than sorry!)
So let’s blame the White Lady – not many ghosts have made it into the main headlines!

PS
Note to myself: next time I send a present to a relative for World Animal Day (10/4 for you forgetful providers), I have to stay away from dog whistles……

No comments: