Monday, July 18, 2005


Providers deal a lot with something called “religion”. I don’t get that at all. There seems to be several of those religion things going around that are suppose to make life better for Providers (and therefore for us cats). I watch a lot of television and saw the terror attacks that religious fanatics commit – too many for my taste. I would like to state here and now, that blowing up Providers is a Very Bad Thing for cats (and dogs too come to think of it). We end up being Providerless, which means: no food, no water, and no cuddles. Although I am capable of opening the fridge, cupboards, drawers and the water faucet, I don’t shop or prepare my own food. I need my Provider for that. So I need her. Period.
Not only are there different religions, they all seem to have a different take on what animals they like. Dogs are seen as unclean in a lot of religions, which makes sense to me. Only Native Americans seem to like wolves, which shows you that they are really nice people. They like and respect all animals-good for them.
Hindu Indians worship cows, which is also nice, although useless for us cats. As long as it doesn’t interfere with my beef intake, I am fine with that.
The only people that had the good sense to turn us into gods were the ancient Egyptians. OK, we had to hunt and kill some mice, but what the hack. Being divine comes with a lot of perks. Somehow, the current Egyptians are Moslems and are not so fond of us anymore. Pity.
I don’t know a lot about Buddhism (I fell asleep when I was watching the documentary on TV) but I think that they respect all animals in case it is their relative or something. You see, they believe in reincarnation, which is a waste of time in my opinion. Let’s face it, I have it made in this life and don’t want to come back as, say, a Provider. It would mean that I have to work (tiresome) and take care of cat (yeah, sure). No way, Jose.

In the Middle Ages, Catholics burned cats at the stake since they thought we were devil worshippers. Ha! As if we would have the energy to worship anybody apart from ourselves. Those were tough times, so we hooked up with lonely women who pampered us. Guess, what? They burned those as well as witches, which is really very inconsiderate.
Protestants seem to be the best pet owners of them all (as far as I can tell). It would explain why the UK is the ultimate cat country.
Some years ago, I lived in a religious Jewish neighborhood and found out that Friday morning was cooking day. I cleverly went around the neighborhood, entering kitchens, positioning myself next to the cooking person and looking up at her with big pleading eyes. It always worked. They cooed that I am such a nice Jewish cat (well, I had an operation, but I don’t think it was a circumcision unless the vet was really clumsy and took too much off) and would give me all the goodies. I rewarded them with my very loud purr. Worked every time.
So if you want to know my religion: none. But I am tolerant – I will listen to your views as long as you feed me, hug me, and don’t bore me too much.

No comments: